Re: [Help-gnunet] Malformed configuration file

From: Christian Grothoff
Subject: Re: [Help-gnunet] Malformed configuration file
Date: Sat, 08 Feb 2014 19:29:01 +0100

On 02/08/2014 06:39 PM, Doug wrote:
> Hello GNUnet Helpers,
>
>    I am working through installing and running GNUnet on Debian 7.2.
> I've been following the build instructions for Debian 7.3, but with
> installing the nettle and gstreamer* libraries "by hand" rather than
> using the testing and unstable Debian repos (since switching to such a
> thing makes me nervous :-/).
>
>    The build has gone well -- great job on the hand-holding
> instructions! -- but I am now getting a WARNING and an ERROR when it
> comes to the "start the per-user services" installation step.
>    To wit:
>      $ gnunet-arm -c ~/.config/gnunet.conf -s
> outputs:
>      Feb 08 12:16:17-195229 util-16710 WARNING `stat' failed on file
> `$HOME/Applications/ThirdParty/gnunet-0.10.0/share/gnunet/config.d' at
> disk.c:1177 with error: No such file or directory
>      Feb 08 12:16:17-195311 gnunet-arm-16710 ERROR Malformed
> configuration file `$HOME/.config/gnunet.conf', exit ...

Did you by chance set "GNUNET_PREFIX=$HOME/Applications/..." (where
$HOME is not even expanded?).  Otherwise I have a hard time explaining
how you got that odd log message.  $HOME should have been expanded,
and in your case the path should have been /usr/local/share/ThirdParty/...
instead of $HOME/Applications/.  So the output of

$ set | grep GNUNET

would be helpful here.

>    My questions are:
>    0) Is there a better or more productive venue to ask such
> questions? Would you prefer I file a bug report? Where?

Asking questions here (or on IRC, #gnunet on irc.freenode.net) is fine,
if you're reasonably sure it's a bug report, use
https://gnunet.org/bugs/ to file bug reports.

>    1) It seems to me that the method generating the first warning
> should be looking in "/usr/local/share/gnunet/config.d/" rather than
> "$HOME/Applications/ThirdParty/gnunet-0.10.0/share/gnunet/config.d/".
> (Note that "$HOME/Applications/ThirdParty/" is just where I put third
> party sources.) Is there a way to direct gnunet-arm to look in the
> correct folder?

Well, it usually uses various heuristics (location of libgnunetutil.so,
location of the gnunet-arm binary) to determine the correct path.  You
can overwrite those by setting the GNUNET_PREFIX environment variable
(to the share/-folder, leave out gnunet/config.d), but you should not
have to...

>    2) The ERROR seems to be generated by the config file that I
> copy/pasted directly from the instructions, i.e. "[arm]\nSYSTEM_ONLY =
> NO\nUSER_ONLY = YES\nDEFAULTSERVICES = gns", and doesn't look at all
> malformed to me. Got any hints on how to fix this?

See (1).  This is not an issue with the config-file per-se.

>    I'm soooo close to getting this freakin' awesome thing rolling!
> Keep up the great work!

Well, let's hope that's true. Please remember that this is still at
best beta-quality and we still have a decent number of known bugs,
features and documentation to finish...

Happy hacking!

Christian