Re: [Help-gnunet] Malformed configuration file

From: Doug
Subject: Re: [Help-gnunet] Malformed configuration file
Date: Sat, 08 Feb 2014 14:03:59 -0500

Hi Christian,
   Thanks for the prompt and helpful reply. I'm stoked that this is an
alpha+ quality project; indeed, I'm eager to contribute where I can.

   My output of
     $ set | grep GNUNET
is:

GNUNET_PREFIX=/home/<user-name>/Applications/ThirdParty/gnunet-0.10.0/
And I have never manually set this environment variable. I guess it
was set by the build/install?

   Exporting GNUNET_PREFIX=/usr/local/ in my /home/<user-name>/.bashrc
has fixed the WARNING and ERROR. Yea!

   I was using "$HOME" in this email as an abbreviation to keep from
broadcasting my user-name to this list. The directory
"/home/<user-name>/Applications/ThirdParty/" is just where I put and
build downloaded code, so it's where I built gnunet and all the other
dependencies.
   Perhaps adding a hint to the build instructions will save you time
answering this same question in the future?

Thanks Again, and keep up the great work,
- --
Doug
address@hidden
- --
0x9B3C4AAD
9D67 A5DC 4365 5A91 D0E5
157C 90E5 0EA5 9B3C 4AAD

On 02/08/2014 01:29 PM, Christian Grothoff wrote:
> On 02/08/2014 06:39 PM, Doug wrote:
>> Hello GNUnet Helpers,
>>
>> I am working through installing and running GNUnet on Debian
>> 7.2. I've been following the build instructions for Debian 7.3,
>> but with installing the nettle and gstreamer* libraries "by hand"
>> rather than using the testing and unstable Debian repos (since
>> switching to such a thing makes me nervous :-/).
>>
>> The build has gone well -- great job on the hand-holding
>> instructions! -- but I am now getting a WARNING and an ERROR when
>> it comes to the "start the per-user services" installation step.
>> To wit: $ gnunet-arm -c ~/.config/gnunet.conf -s outputs: Feb 08
>> 12:16:17-195229 util-16710 WARNING `stat' failed on file
>> `$HOME/Applications/ThirdParty/gnunet-0.10.0/share/gnunet/config.d'
>> at disk.c:1177 with error: No such file or directory Feb 08
>> 12:16:17-195311 gnunet-arm-16710 ERROR Malformed configuration
>> file `$HOME/.config/gnunet.conf', exit ...
>
> Did you by chance set "GNUNET_PREFIX=$HOME/Applications/..."
> (where $HOME is not even expanded?).  Otherwise I have a hard time
> explaining how you got that odd log message.  $HOME should have
> been expanded, and in your case the path should have been
> /usr/local/share/ThirdParty/... instead of $HOME/Applications/.  So
> the output of
>
> $ set | grep GNUNET
>
> would be helpful here.
>
>> My questions are: 0) Is there a better or more productive venue
>> to ask such questions? Would you prefer I file a bug report?
>> Where?
>
> Asking questions here (or on IRC, #gnunet on irc.freenode.net) is
> fine, if you're reasonably sure it's a bug report, use
> https://gnunet.org/bugs/ to file bug reports.
>
>> 1) It seems to me that the method generating the first warning
>> should be looking in "/usr/local/share/gnunet/config.d/" rather
>> than
>> "$HOME/Applications/ThirdParty/gnunet-0.10.0/share/gnunet/config.d/".

(Note that "$HOME/Applications/ThirdParty/" is just where I put third