Re: [Help-gnunet] Measures Against Abuse not a topic of FAQ

From: Jan Eichstaedt
Subject: Re: [Help-gnunet] Measures Against Abuse not a topic of FAQ
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2016 13:02:13 -0400

Hello List:

On 10/14/2016 11:53 AM, Stefan Huchler wrote:
> Jan Eichstaedt <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Hello ng0, hello list,
>>
>> Thank you for your thoughtful post. Please read my comments below.
>
> Hi Jan again,
>
> I think you also choose a bad time for your question, at the moment we
> have massive oppression of free speech, Wikileaks, Manning, and not only
> this people they go after many proffessional journalists, too.
>
> http://www.cjr.org/criticism/barack_obamas_press_freedom_legacy.php
>
> So like also in this article mentioned we are at war with power. literly
> war, not at least western countries physical wars but WW3 about
> information and free speech and so on.

Please let me suggest to tone down and focus on the task at hand, i.e.
find an answer to The Question and decide whether or not to put it in
the FAQ. Thinking in terms of war is usually worsening things. Also
simplifying in terms of good and bad seem to distract. I tried to
introduce humane -- inhumane, instead, because one has a definition in
the human rights as adopted and proclaimed by General Assembly
resolution 217 A (III) of 10 December 1948.

Also this does not need to become a discussion on censorship. Even if
one would try to do something about abuse one would not necessarily need
to censor certain content. There are a variety of measures besides it:
from expressing the mere intention to instantiate some
not-yet-decided-upon rules on the low end to chasing villains of some
sort when they already have committed something in the open on another
end (not necessarily high).

An answer to The Question is necessary as early as possible because the
answer potentially might have an impact how to proceed with the entire
GNUnet Project.

I hope this helps,
Jan