Re: [Help-gnunet] Measures Against Abuse not a topic of FAQ

From: Lluís Batlle i Rossell
Subject: Re: [Help-gnunet] Measures Against Abuse not a topic of FAQ
Date: Sun, 9 Oct 2016 00:56:33 +0200

Hello,

I'm also not affiliated with GNUnet but I'll give my few cents.

I agree that this makes for a good candidate for a FAQ. And then comes my
view.

As a technology provider, GNUnet allows the weak to be protected from the
power. As some famous cryptopunk put it, cryptography is the only tool in
hands of the weak that the power cannot break.

The powerful can make guns, sell guns, decide what is good or wrong,
publish mass books about the morality you should have and how to judge
foreign affairs, etc. The powerful (landowners, politicians, authorities,
police) use to be behind the arms traffic, the main paths of drug dealing,
with war and and genocides. The powerful are those who do the greatest
harm and in control of most technology, and crypto is the only technology
in hands of the weak.

Luckily, thanks to the spread of https, ciphered communications are not a
reason to raise suspicion upon a user. Otherwise, the moto of the ruler
"why do you want to hide me your things?" could have done much more harm.

Crypto can also be used by the powerful, by whatever bad guys. But the
main point here IMO is that crypto is the only tech thing that ALSO the
good weak guys can use for their organisation and gathering. If there is
no crypto protection (anonymity, secrecy, etc), the main endangered people
by that would be the weak good guys.

Regards,
Lluís.