help-gnustep

Re: Distribution supporting GNUstep

From: Robert Bruce Carleton
Subject: Re: Distribution supporting GNUstep
Date: 11 Mar 2006 14:37:42 -1000

Anurodh Pokharel<anurodhp@SPAM.users.sf.net> writes:

> MJ Ray <mjr@dsl.pipex.com> wrote:
> >M Daser <mdfense@yahoo.com> wrote:
> >> Can anybody give me a hint which Linux distribution comes with GNUstep,
> >> binary packages preferred?
> >
> >Debian and some of the derived distributions have GNUstep packages.
> >There's a GNUstep-based LiveCD.
> >
> >A lot of the source-based systems have GNUstep recipes/builds/ports.
> >There's also GNUstep Startup recently, which might help too.
> >
> >--
> >MJR/slef
> >Finally getting back to GNUstep
> >

> I am using ubuntu (which is a debian derivative) right now and it has
> GCC-4 and GNUStep as well as a few applications like Projectcenter and
> Gorm.
>
> -Anu
>

> --
> Anurodh  Pokharel
> Anurodhp@SPAM.users.sf.net

I'm running GNUStep from the FreeBSD ports collection on FreeBSD 6.X.
Some configuration is required to get it all working, but should be
tolerable if you have basic sysadmin/scripting skills on FreeBSD.
GNUMail and GWorkspace work well enough for me to use them every day.
I run Mac OS-X 10.4 on my Powerbook.  I actually prefer the idea of
GNUStep on Windowmaker over running X-windows on top of Cocoa,
particularly when I run a lot of X-windows applications.

Best,

                        --Bruce

--
Robert Bruce Carleton + http://home.hakuhale.net/rbc/