help-gnustep

Re: Win32: error compiling ProjectCenter.. GNUstep.conf is not absolute

From: Ingolf Jandt
Subject: Re: Win32: error compiling ProjectCenter.. GNUstep.conf is not absolute path..
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2006 00:05:31 +0000 (UTC)

Mike x <mikexcan <at> yahoo.com> writes: some stuff

First I must unfortunately tell you that most GNUstep developers (or generally
most OSS developers) do not use Windows, so issues with the Windows port are
quite common. Exspecially the release 1.11.2/0.10.2 is said to be broken on
windows, as it was not tested enough. You might want to do with an elder one or
wait until 1.12.0/0.10.3 has a binary installer. Or you can follow the
instructions on
http://www.gnustep.org/resources/documentation/User/GNUstep/README.MinGW
(replacing "cvs -d... co core" with
"svn co svn://svn.gna.org/svn/gnustep/modules/core")
to build an up-to-date version, which always can be updated by "svn up core". (I
think this is what the few Windows-using developers usually do.) Granted, this
is an annoying process the first time.

I must add that whilst gnustep-base is mature on windows and used in real-world
apps (i.e. http://www.cocoabuilder.com/archive/message/cocoa/2006/2/16/156947),
the graphical part, gnustep-gui, is not really stable yet.
When I tried out Windows the last time, ProjectCenter and many other apps did
not compile at all -- admittedly some time ago. But 0.4.3 is explicitly reported
to work, and some other developers have sent screenshots of their apps on
Windows recently, so I think the issue is the above one.

If it is not and you cannot get Project Centre to compile, but the rest works,
let me comfort you. You can perfectly learn and use GNUstep without it. It just
would save you typing a few make commands, and writing a GNUmakefile, which is
trivial for small projects (and should be learned at one stage anyway).

In case your gameness is not totally dampened now let me welcome you. GNUstep
programming is really a lot simpler and more effective than struggling with any
other API or toolkit I know. So have much pleasure.

ingolf