help-gnustep

Re: Problem with accents

From: Fred Kiefer
Subject: Re: Problem with accents
Date: Sat, 26 Apr 2008 14:31:14 +0200

Edu wrote:
Hi, I'm a gentoo user who decided to try GNUStep, I'm setting up an environment, everything looks great, but I have a problem with spanish characters

I'll explain:

Usually when I want to write an characters like á, é, í, ó, ú â ê î ô û à à è ì ò ù.

To get this I have press the key with the accent: "´ ^ `", and then I have to press the key that i want "a e i o u"

Well with gnustep apps, when I get something like: ^a, instead of â

Anyone knows a way around this?

I am no expert on this, but I would expect the X window system and not the GNUstep framework to cook up the composite characters. I think the X concept there is called dead keys, where pressing a dead key does not result in any key pressed input for the applications until the next key is pressed. But I may be completely mistaken here. Perhaps I should switch my keyboard setup to using dead keys and see how GNUstep applications behave.

It surely would be better to report the problem on the GNUstep bug report site (https://savannah.gnu.org/projects/gnustep/), you should get more feedback there and reports wont get lost as mails easily do.

Cheers,
Fred