help-gnutls

Re: [Help-gnutls] GNUTLS ERROR: A TLS packet with unexpected length was

From: John Brooks
Subject: Re: [Help-gnutls] GNUTLS ERROR: A TLS packet with unexpected length was received.
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2008 04:55:21 -0600

Drawing on my knowledge of unrealircd for this (which is somewhat outdated, but I believe still correct), my guess is that you're hitting the throttling limit of the ircd. After a certain number of connections from an IP in a certain amount of time, it starts rejecting new ones - and I wouldn't be suprised if it rejects their handshakes as well (save resources, DDoS prevention). I believe this is configurable - check the config and try connecting repeatedly without SSL to see what it says.

Another possibility is that the IP is Z-Lined; unrealircd will send an ERROR in plaintext even if you attempt to connect with SSL (which will show up as exactly that error). Again, to prevent excess resource usage and help stop DDoS.

Either way, i'm inclined to think that this is one of those two slightly misguided features of unrealircd, rather than a SSL issue. Inspircd is better anyway :P

- John Brooks