Re: Debug builds

From: Ulrich Eckhardt
Subject: Re: Debug builds
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2005 20:11:08 +0100

Matthias wrote:
> Ulrich Eckhardt wrote:
>> apt-get install g++-3.4
>
> But which compiler will be used when I have *both* installed? Issuing
> 'g++ -v' still yields 3.3.5.
> I recognized that 'g++' is only a symlink though. Can I just relink it
> against the new version, or is there a better solution? ^^

You could do that, but experiments with that lead to disaster with some
packages (source packages for the kernel that require the same compiler
the kernel was built with).

In case you are compiling a typical package that uses the autotools, this
is the way to go:
  CXX=g++-3.4 ./configure
also, other makefile based packages usually honour CXX. If everything
fails, add a link in a non-system bin/ dir like e.g. in your homedir and
set the path accordingly.

Uli

--
http://gcc.gnu.org/faq.html