Re: g++ compiler

From: Paul Pluzhnikov
Subject: Re: g++ compiler
Date: Sat, 08 Oct 2005 07:17:09 -0700

ganeshb@gmail.com writes:

> I am planning to write a source to source (C++ to C++) translator. The
> translator's job is to parse the C++ program augemented with some
> annotations (not part of C++ standard) and produce a standard C++ code.
> The annotations are written in the form of comments (/* ...*/). Will
> g++ be ideal for this project?

G++ is quite unlikely to be "ideal" for this: AFAIK it lacks the
machinery to print (reconstruct) internal representation back as
valid C++. Such reconstructor is entirely non-trivial.

Also, depending on what the annotations are to be transformed into,
you may have much easier time with text-processing languages,
such as Perl.

> How long does it take to master g++?

I doubt anyone can "master" g++ in less then 2 years.
But then what you mean by "master" may be very different from what
I mean by that.

> Duration of the project is 1 month.

Well, if you are a genius, you might be able to complete this
project in a month using g++. But I doubt both the antecedent
and the consequent :(

Cheers,
Remove /-nsp/ for email.