Re: Operationally well-tried

From: Robert Heller
Subject: Re: Operationally well-tried
Date: Thu, 03 May 2007 20:56:27 +0200

At Thu, 3 May 2007 15:48:57 +0000 (UTC) Ulrich Lauther
<ulrich.lauther@siemens.com> wrote:

> Ulrich Elsner <usenet250407.20.elsner@xoxy.net> wrote:
> : Hi,
>
> : my google foo has been weak today, so I'll try this newsgroup.
> : For a formal review I have to show that the compiler (g++, exact
> : version yet to be determined) I plan to use is "operationally
> : well-tried".
>
> : I thus need some well documented examples where g++ has been used for
> : "an adequate time period" in "significant" software projects. It would
> : be nice if some of these examples touch safety relevant areas,i.e., an
> : air traffic control system or machine control software is more helpful
> : than, say, a videogame.
>
> : Now, my first idea, all those widely used open source progams turn out
> : not to work very well as an argument since they have no strong link to
> : a specific compiler versions.
>
> : Any ideas, hints or links?
>
> what about the Linux kernel, should be quite significant

Except that the Linux kernel is all plain C, not C++ -- g++ is not used
to build the kernel.

Lots of other software typically distributed with Linux is written in
C++ and have been compiled with g++, but the OP for some reason seems to
think these don't count.

--
Robert Heller             -- 978-544-6933
Deepwoods Software        -- Linux Installation and Administration