Re: How to report this bug?

From: Paul Pluzhnikov
Subject: Re: How to report this bug?
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2007 11:02:33 -0700

Lionel B <me@privacy.net> writes:

> On Fri, 27 Jul 2007 13:58:52 +0000, Ulrich Lauther wrote:
>
>> I have got a very small piece of code that makes my application crash
>> when compiled with optimization:
>
> Careful before you blame the compiler! How can we know whether the crash
> is not, in fact, due to a bug in your [library] code causing undefined
> behaviour, which then only manifests itself when optimisation is turned
> on. That's not unheard of.

Not only is this not unheard of, it is *highly* likely.

Ulrich should first verify that his app is "valgrind clean".
It it is, he should try to create a small test case.

In the process of creating such test, it is likely he'll discover
(one or more) bugs in his app (and/or library).

Cheers,
Remove /-nsp/ for email.