Re: Debugging coredumps in different computers

From: Bruno Gonzalez (STenyaK)
Subject: Re: Debugging coredumps in different computers
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2008 11:19:50 -0800 (PST)

Hi Paul, thanks for the reply.

On Feb 12, 5:31 pm, Paul Pluzhnikov <ppluzhnikov-...@gmail.com> wrote:
> This core dump came from uncaught exception (but you probably
> know that).

Yes, it was an intended crash.

> You aren't necessarily doing anything wrong.
>
> The core dump contains memory image of the various writable (data)
> segments of the process, but it does not contain copies of the
> executable code (read-only sections), to save space [1].
>
> Because of that, gdb backtrace requires access to the *exact*
> version of all executable sections that were used when the core
> dump was produced. This means that you need to tell gdb where to
[...]
> Without matching shared libraries, gdb just uses whatever libraries
> are installed on the current system, if these don't match what's
> in the dump, you get "garbage".

I see, thanks for the info. Unfortunately, that increases the crash
information a lot. My idea was to have user coredumps sent to me
automatically, so that i can debug them. Is there any way to create
something similar to Windows minidumps? Some way to make the coredumps
smaller somehow?

> [1] Solaris allows inclusion of executable sections into core
> with coreadm(1), but I don't believe such capability exists in linux.

I'll look into it. Thanks for the heads up.