Re: Debugging coredumps in different computers

From: Bruno Gonzalez (STenyaK)
Subject: Re: Debugging coredumps in different computers
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2008 09:10:06 -0800 (PST)

On Feb 13, 8:21 am, Paul Pluzhnikov <ppluzhnikov-...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Well, if you collect package/version info for all the DSOs in
> the process, you probably can fetch corresponding packages,
> and debug that core.
>
> Obviously you wouldn't be able to do that for "self-built"
> libraries. Depending on who your users are, this may be quite rare,
> or quite frequent.

My targets are average joes using Windows, MacOS X, and various GNU/
Linux distros, including Gentoo (which i use for development).
I guess i could checksum the libs, an zip them if not on the known-
libs list.

> Also, often you could just ask the user to run gdb (or even do that
> automatically), and just send gdb output instead of core. You'll
> likely be interested in "info threads", "thread apply all where",
> "thread apply all locals", and "thread apply all info reg".

Since users are average joes, i would like an easier way. I'm not sure
if i can install gdb without installing all cygwin under windows? If
so, i could pack gdb.exe with my program, and have it run in some kind
of batch mode in order to create the zip automatically.

> > Some way to make the coredumps smaller somehow?
> bzip2 ?

Wow, i never imagined it would reduce size that much. A 122megs
coredump was left at just 700kbs after gzipping. It probably is
because the program had just started, and most of the memory was
filled with blanks?
Anyway, thanks for the advice!