Re: gdb backtrace for g++ programs showing ?? symbol

From: Jeff Schwab
Subject: Re: gdb backtrace for g++ programs showing ?? symbol
Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2008 13:05:33 -0800

Paul Pluzhnikov wrote:
Jeff Schwab <jeff@schwabcenter.com> writes:

Why can't gdb show me the function name for that function?
Because it can't find the debug symbols for the file.

Gdb doen't need any debug symbols to deduce function name:

$ cat t.c && gcc t.c && gdb -q ./a.out
Note the 'no debugging symbols found', and the names of all functions
in the stack trace. However, gdb does need the symbol table to
be present:

$ strip a.out && gdb -q ./a.out

Well, look at that!  Thank you for correcting me.