Re: gdb backtrace for g++ programs showing ?? symbol

From: Paul Pluzhnikov
Subject: Re: gdb backtrace for g++ programs showing ?? symbol
Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2008 09:40:55 -0800

Naam Nahin <naam.yaad.nahin@gmail.com> writes:

> To get the debug version of libstdc++,
> I installed the debug library and passed in -D_GLIBCXX_DEBUG as
> a command line parameter.

Installed where?

Also, '-D_GLIBCXX_DEBUG' has nothing to do with your problem --
it's a flag that enables various STL asserts, but doesn't change
whether libstdc++ is compiled with debug info or not.

> However, I still see (through ldd) that my
> program depends upon the release version of libstdc++ and does not
> show the full debug stack trace (like the one you have shown). How
> do I link against the debug version of libstdc++?

Depends on where you installed it.

> The reason I am asking this is that I have a program which throws a
> segmentation fault when an exception is thrown. However, in that case,
> there is an exception handler that is in my program. The exact same
> program runs fine under Microsoft's c++ compiler on Windows
> but crashes horribly with a SIGSEGV under Linux.

And the details of that crash are?

> It is further complicated by the fact that the program uses gcc 2.96 ...
>
> The stack trace for that shows the stack is not being unwound properly, it
> seems to be going of to functions which were not even on the call stack!
>
> It seems that gcc 2.96 (and libstdc++) had some problems with exception
> handling code (mentioned at
> http://rhn.redhat.com/errata/RHBA-2002-055.html).
> However, even installing these patches did not help.
>
> Any suggestions to tackle this problem would be very helpful ...

You are asking a lot of questions, but omitting all relevant details.
I suggest you read this:
  http://catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
and ask again.

Cheers,