Re: chain loading USB harddrive if no native USB support possible?

From: Gregg Levine
Subject: Re: chain loading USB harddrive if no native USB support possible?
Date: Fri, 4 Apr 2008 14:10:29 -0400

On Fri, Apr 4, 2008 at 12:07 PM, Franklin PIAT <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Fri, 2008-04-04 at 16:10 +0200, Michael Reichenbach wrote:
> > Franklin PIAT wrote:

> > > I guess that nothing prevents you from installing grub on a floppy or CD
> > > with its config file. The tricky part will be to tell grub to search for
> > > a given file, in order to identify the [USB] root device.
> >
> > Yes.
> >
> > > Under grub2, you can use the "search" command (read [1] for more
> > > information).
> >
> > Well, yet I have only learned grub legacy because I mostly use the
> > "latest stable" and also most documentation was for it. However, if
> > needed I will also look inside grub 2.
>
> Grub v1 may have similar feature, check the manual.
>
> > My question is now the following. You mean grub2 can detect and boot
> > more devices then grub legacy?
> >
> > (supergrub with grub legacy did not find the device)
>
> It probably depends on the scenario (grub2 has more features, but a few
> regression too).
>
> > > I haven't tested, but if you label the USB device with a unique name,
> > > then a script like this should work:
> > >  search -f MyUsbLabel
> > >  linux      /boot/vmlinuz root=LABEL=MyUsbLabel ro
> > >  initrd     /boot/initrd.img
> >
> > This means it`s only possible to boot linux that way? Chan loading
> > another bootloader directly isn`t possible?
>
> I don't know. Maybe someone else can answer this question.
>
> Franklin

Hello!
Answer what question?
According to the chap who created RUNT Linux the core for USB
including most drivers need to be compiled into the kernel.

He gives everything you need to know about that idea on the home page
for it, http://runt.mybox.org/ it is quite comprehensive and well
written. It even uses Slackware Linux for its creation.

But as for booting from a USB device, got me. That one works from a
floppy if native boot support doesn't exist.
--
Gregg C Levine address@hidden
"This signature was once found posting rude