Calling Grub in MBR on a USB disk from Grub on a primary disk problem

From: Marcin Zajączkowski
Subject: Calling Grub in MBR on a USB disk from Grub on a primary disk problem
Date: Mon, 20 Jul 2009 19:51:53 +0200

Hi,

I've installed Fedora on my USB disk. I decided to have Grub installed
in the MBR of that USB disk and if I chose that disk to boot from in
BIOS everything works fine. Unfortunately I can't chose a disk to boot
from and a system is resuming from hibernation. So I wanted to add an
entry into Grub on my primary disk to call Grub from the second one, but
it doesn't work.

I tried many options similar to:
title Fedora the 2nd
        root (hd1)
        makeactive
        chainloader +1
        map (hd0) (hd1)
        map (hd1) (hd0)

but generally have an error:
12 : Invalid device requested

followed by:
Filesystem type unknown, using whole disk
(which is probably ok)

Similar construction works fine when calling Grub on a secondary IDE
disk from the primary one.

What could be wrong here?

Regards
Marcin