GRUB & usb-modeswitch.

From: Nicolas de Pesloüan
Subject: GRUB & usb-modeswitch.
Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2010 22:43:14 +0100

Hi,

First post here, but I checked the archive first, without success.

On Linux, I use an USB device that provide a 3G "modem" and a slot for a micro
SD card.

Because this device use the ZeroCD technology, I need to use usb-modeswitch to switch the device from its native mode (being seen as a CD reader) to its operational mode (being seen as a serial device + a storage device).

I would like to be able to use GRUB2 to boot from this device.

Unfortunately, GRUB2 is unable to use it, as the device is not seen as a
storage device until switched.

It would be really convenient to be able to switch the device from inside GRUB2. Switching is done by sending a message into an USB bulk endpoint. Having already most of the USB work done for normal GRUB2 operation, I assume this should not be a major work.

Any comments ?

        Nicolas.