Re: GRUB & usb-modeswitch.

From: Goh Lip
Subject: Re: GRUB & usb-modeswitch.
Date: Mon, 01 Nov 2010 08:52:39 +0800

On Monday 01,November,2010 05:43 AM, Nicolas de Pesloüan wrote:
Hi,

First post here, but I checked the archive first, without success.

On Linux, I use an USB device that provide a 3G "modem" and a slot for a
micro SD card.

Because this device use the ZeroCD technology, I need to use
usb-modeswitch to switch the device from its native mode (being seen as
a CD reader) to its operational mode (being seen as a serial device + a
storage device).

I would like to be able to use GRUB2 to boot from this device.

Unfortunately, GRUB2 is unable to use it, as the device is not seen as a
storage device until switched.

It would be really convenient to be able to switch the device from
inside GRUB2. Switching is done by sending a message into an USB bulk
endpoint. Having already most of the USB work done for normal GRUB2
operation, I assume this should not be a major work.

Any comments ?

Have not used or tried usb-modeswitch myself, but would comment #9 of
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/usb-modeswitch/+bug/477031
help?

Good luck - Goh Lip