linux kernel boot parameters for just one menu item

From: s harding
Subject: linux kernel boot parameters for just one menu item
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2011 12:37:20 +0100 (BST)

OK. I give up. I need help.

How do I append an item to the linux kernel boot parameters for *just*one* menu
item in GRUB2?  I want to have two linux menu items. Same partition, same
kernel, just with different kernel command lines.

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX doesn't help me since it applies to all standard linux menu
lines.

I have created a new custom menu item based on 40_custom. Text appended to its
'linux /boot/linux'... line does not seem to get through.

The option I am trying to pass is 'init=/sbin/special_init'. I want to run a
non-default init while retaining the ability to revert to the standard one. I
am obviously being stupid, but I just can't see how.