"search" and "appleloader" commands missing in Grub 2.00~beta0 for EFI

From: Jake Thomas
Subject: "search" and "appleloader" commands missing in Grub 2.00~beta0 for EFI
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2012 02:12:49 -0800 (PST)

Hello again. I compiled Grub 2.00~beta0 for 64-bit EFI. The "search" command is missing. And so is the appleloader command.
My incentive for upgrading Grub was largely the hope that just maybe appleloader will work on my MacBook after the upgrade.
I've heard that the MacBook 7,1 patch had been accepted upstream into the mainstream Grub bzr.

I used the following ./configure options:
./configure --enable-device-mapper --enable-grub-mkfont --enable-cache-stats --disable-werror --with-platform=efi --target=x86_64

I used the following command to make the image:

../grub-mkimage -d . -p "/boot/grub/x86_64-efi" -o BOOTx64.EFI -O x86_64-efi part_gpt part_msdos ntfs ntfscomp hfsplus fat ext2 normal chain boot configfile linux multiboot

I put BOOTx64.EFI in /EFI/boot on the EFI system partition of my thumb drive (marked as such by a partition type id of EF01 in the GPT).
I put all the *.mod files and *.lst files at /boot/grub/x86_64-efi on the EFI system partition, as well as grub.cfg.

It loads the config file and shows my entries and I can scroll up and down with the arrow keys to pick the option I want. I can go to command line or hit "e" to edit and all that.
I just doesn't show my background image and the options are in a box in the center of the screen and the background is black. That could just be due to me making the
grub.cfg file wrong again. But that's a separate issue.

When I select an option that involves the "search" command (they all do), it says that the "search" command is unknown.
If I hit "e" to edit and manually enter the partition that the bootable is in (replacing the line involving the search command), it works and successfully boots the bootable.

When I boot my thumb drive into Grub 2.00~beta0 on a BIOS machine, I do have the search option available to me.
I used the following configure options in compiling Grub 2.00~beta0 for BIOS:
./configure --enable-device-mapper --enable-grub-mkfont --disable-werror --enable-efiemu --enable-cache-stats

Also, when booted into Grub 2.00~beta0 for 64-bit EFI, I do not have the appleloader command.
When I try "insmod appleloader" it says that the file is not found.

Cheers,
Jake