Re: Recovering from GRUB effects of "garbled" install

From: Arbiel Perlacremaz
Subject: Re: Recovering from GRUB effects of "garbled" install
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2012 23:11:42 +0100

I may have misunderstood you. Reading again your call for help, you appear to want your HDD to be a single Windows booting machine. In that case, we are not going to keep Grub on its MBR, but to overwrite it with the Windows initial boot loader, the one your erroneously erased in installing your Ubuntu distribution on the USB stick.

You can go with various Windows solutions ; the one Keith McKenzie gave you is OK. Other are available if you google WIndows sites, but this is not my expertise. You also can go with a GNU/Linux tool, named boot-repair, whose official home page is https://launchpad.net/boot-repair. This tool can restore various Windows initial boot loaders (XP, Vista, Seven) into the MBR.

If you want to go that way, install that program into your USB stick Ubuntu distibutionn and run it. If you read a little bit of french, you will find sort of a user manual at that place : http://doc.ubuntu-fr.org/boot-repair, which you will easily understand, as it shows screens of what to do.

Both ways you will overwrite grub and its references to your USB stick with a windows initial bootloader, and you will be able to boot your PC as before, without the need to connect your USB stick.

Now for your USB stick : you want Grub in its MBR, and your USB stick Ubuntu to be the default boot, and maybe your HDD Windows a second choice

To have Grub into its MBR, boot your PC from your USB stick Ubuntu
open a terminal and type

sudo blkid

to verify whether your USB stick will be /dev/sda or /dev/sdb, or /dev/sdc (I'm sure what it should be). Let's say it's /dev/sd?

then type

sudo grub-install /dev/sd?

This command will :
create a /boot boot-directory into your Ubuntu partition, a /boot/grub directory in it and fill the later with the necessary files for Grub to boot, but the /boot/grub/grub.cfg file, which is the configuration file which tells Grub how to construct its boot menu
install grub into your USB stick's MBR
make a link from your USB stick's Grub to /boot/grub

Now you have to create the /boot/grub/grub.cfg by running the command

sudo grub-mkconfig

This command will use grub options from /etc/default/grub, where you will find all necessary information to fix these options accordingly to what you want to do. You will be able to define the default boot system (your Ubuntu) and whether or not you want Windows as a second choice or not (there is an option whose name contains os-prober to say where other oses are to be probed -included into the menu - or not -discarded from it -). So please, review this file and fix the options before running the grub-mkconfig command.

Doing all that you will have a bootable USB stick.

I hope all this is clear.

However, in this way of booting Ubuntu, the boot process will be slow. If you are interested, I can help you booting a HDD residing Ubuntu form your USB stick, without any Grub into the HDD MBR. Just ask me.

Arbiel