Re: Recovering from GRUB effects of "garbled" install

From: Chris Jones
Subject: Re: Recovering from GRUB effects of "garbled" install
Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2012 00:01:08 -0400

On Fri, Mar 16, 2012 at 11:31:30AM EDT, Richard Owlett wrote:

[..]

> I raised the question on a Ubuntu forum and got a confused mishmash of
> between GRUB Legacy and GRUB2.

Grub was already a rather silly name to begin with (nudge, nudge, wink
wink.. look how clever I am), but keeping the same name i.e. grub-pc..
grub2, whatever.. and the other guy whose name was grub (the original..
do you follow me..?) becoming grub-legacy, etc. etc. will go down as one
of the most idiotic decisions ever made in the GNU/linux world.

It entertains confusion in an area that certainly does not need it,
makes web searches, posting on forums, and any kind of communication on
the subject an absolute mess.. it has helped a lot give the otherwise
excellent¹ new product a bad name. Hence a significant number of people,
in particular admins in the enterprise world got really pissed at this
nonsense and switched back the old "grub". I hear some got so sick of it
that they decided to revive and continue maintaining the original grub.

Not sure who made *that* decision .. ugh.. but like many others, if
I knew who was responsible, I think there are times I might just about
shoot that person on sight.

CJ

¹ It will be when somebody qualified eventually documents it.

CJ

--

AHH! The neurotic monkeys are after me!