Error when booting to FreeBSD on second disk, only through 40_custom

From: John Little
Subject: Error when booting to FreeBSD on second disk, only through 40_custom
Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2012 11:55:52 +1300

Adarsh Joshi <address@hidden> said:
> This is what I have in my 40_custom file, on my Ubuntu 10.10 server.
>
>         insmod ufs2
>         set root='(hd1,msdos1)'
>         search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set 4c0029f407b3cd1d
>         kfreebsd /boot/kernel/kernel
>         kfreebsd_loadenv /boot/device.hints
>         kfreebsd_module /boot/splash.bmp type=splash_image_data
>         set kFreeBSD.vfs.root.mountfrom=ufs:da1s1a
>
> The interesting thing is that I see (hd1) and (hd1,msdos1) when I do a ls at
> the command prompt and I am even able to boot FreeBSD if try through the
> command prompt. I get the error only when I try to boot through 40_custom
> file.

Are you aware that your set root= is overwritten by the following
search command?  So if the UUID in the search is found on another
partition, root will be set to it.  The UUID can even be correct, but
root not set the way you want, if another partition has the same UUID,
as is easily achieved by cloning partitions (which is how I found out
about it).

Regards, John Little