Re: EFI to grub to DOS?

From: Greg Grotsky
Subject: Re: EFI to grub to DOS?
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2012 20:41:46 -0600

On Mon, Jul 23, 2012 at 11:37 AM, Jake Thomas <address@hidden> wrote:
Ok. A few things:

1. What are you trying to do with the DOS utility? There might be a Linux tool that does the same thing, and Linux can be booted from EFI.

I'm trying to run a memory exerciser that stresses all the DRAM in the system. Something similar to memtest86+ only more rigorous.

2. What would happen if you just left it in BIOS mode all the time?

I'm also trying to run a memory exerciser in that's designed to run from EFI. I want to run one, then the other, automatically. I have one thumb drive that will boot to both DOS and EFI depending on how the BIOS is configured.

3. You might be able to switch the firmware mode from within the operating system, such as by writing to /dev/mem.  If it's possible to do the switch from within an OS, that can be automated.

I thought about this and seems very possible given the thumb drive that I talk about above but I think I'd need some knowledge of the system/BIOS layout in order to hit the correct location which would change the switch.

4. What hardware do you need DOS to access? If you ran DOS in Xen, would PCI passthrough be sufficient?

Mainly direct access to the memory.

I don't think it's gonna happen, no big deal. I think we're just going to have to drop the DOS requirement and build some software to do the DOS-style-memory-testing from Linux. It seems that would make everyone's life easier (I know I dig linux). Thanks for all your help with this Jake.

-Greg