Can Grub start Windows XP from "other" partition

From: Ulf Zibis
Subject: Can Grub start Windows XP from "other" partition
Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2012 01:10:05 +0100

Hi,

I have an old bad running WinXP installation, which was installed on partition
1 as C:.
Now I want to move this installation to another partition and make a fresh WinXP installation on partition 1. For some reasons, I want to have the possibility to run the old installation later. I believe, that I can run it, if I manually "hide" the 1. partition and mark the 2. as active/boot, so Windows will guess the 2. partition as C:.
I Grub smart enough to do that for me when booting the old Windows partition
from the 2. partition?

Ideally I would like to move the old WinXP installation to a "logical"
partition. Would that also work?
So my preferred partitioning would be like:
Primary partition 1: new Windows XP installation
Primary partition 2: Thinkpad Recovery (physically at the end of the of the
harddrive)
Primary partition 3: Ubuntu
Extended partition 4:
Logical partition 5: Ubuntu swap
Logical partition 6: Data
Logical partition 7: Backup
Logical partition 8: old bad Windows XP installation (Copy from originally C:)

Thanks for hints,

-Ulf