Re: Can Grub start Windows XP from "other" partition

From: Felix Miata
Subject: Re: Can Grub start Windows XP from "other" partition
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2012 19:50:06 -0500

On 2012-11-17 01:10 (GMT+0100) Ulf Zibis composed:

I have an old bad running WinXP installation, which was installed on partition
1 as C:.
Now I want to move this installation to another partition and make a fresh
WinXP installation on
partition 1.
For some reasons, I want to have the possibility to run the old installation
later. I believe, that
I can run it, if I manually "hide" the 1. partition and mark the 2. as
active/boot, so Windows will
guess the 2. partition as C:.
I Grub smart enough to do that for me when booting the old Windows partition
from the 2. partition?

Ideally I would like to move the old WinXP installation to a "logical"
partition. Would that also work?
So my preferred partitioning would be like:
Primary partition 1: new Windows XP installation
Primary partition 2: Thinkpad Recovery (physically at the end of the of the
harddrive)
Primary partition 3: Ubuntu
Extended partition 4:
Logical partition 5: Ubuntu swap
Logical partition 6: Data
Logical partition 7: Backup
Logical partition 8: old bad Windows XP installation (Copy from originally C:)

Windows primary partitions cannot be "moved" except via sophisticated understanding and working knowledge of partitioning and the Windows registry.

Windows needs a primary to be C:, but it needn't be "installed" to C:. What you can do is designate the new installation be "installed" to a logical, as long as there is a C:/primary to boot from. If there are no other Windows-native partition types, the logical will be D:, where the new XP would be installed and run from after booting from C:, much like Linux can have a separate /boot instead of having everything on /.

If you now have Grub on the MBR, the Windows installation will overwrite it with standard PC MBR code. Before starting another Windows installation if you install Grub to your Ubuntu / partition, then either of Windows or Linux can chainload the other via the standard MBR code Windows will install, as spelled out on http://fm.no-ip.com/PC/install-doz-after.html which should help understanding multiboot with more than one Windows as well as with Linux.

See also:
http://old-en.opensuse.org/Bugs/grub#How_does_a_PC_boot_.2F_How_can_I_set_up_a_working_GRUB.3F

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/