Chainloading windows 7 installed on a local partition

From: Tom Davies
Subject: Chainloading windows 7 installed on a local partition
Date: Wed, 5 Jun 2013 17:48:11 +0100 (BST)

Hi :)
Sorry this is not hugely helpful!  Hopefully someone here will be able to help more.

I just had a really tough time trying to install Ubuntu alongside Win7.  For some reason Win7 had used up 4 primary partitions so i 'had to' delete 2 of them and then use "testdisk" to recover them as Logical Partitions.  (I've since found a tool that can convert Primary to Logical or Logical to Primary without deleting anything)

Ubuntu installed fine and works well.  The Grub menu seemed to work and showed me all the Windows Recovery and Hewlett Packard Recovery bootable partitions.  However all but one of the Recovery failed to boot-up claiming that some hardware was missing.  The main Win7 also failed for same reason.

I spent a couple of days bouncing between recovering the Grub2 boot-loader and then the Windows one and then just as i was about to give up and take it to a shop and pay to get the Windows side fixed but suddenly it all magically worked.

Regards from
Tom :)

  1. Chainloading windows 7 installed on a local partition
      (Pascal COMBES)
Hello everyone,
    I would want to submit you a problem I encountered when trying to
install Ubuntu (on sda6) after having installed Windows 7 on a logical
partition (sda5). Before the installation of Ubuntu, Windows 7 was on
its logical partition (sda5) and it worked well. A detail : When
installing Ubuntu, I put Grub on a separate boot partition (sda3).

    I tried to reconfigure Grub so that it boots either Ubuntu or
Windows seven with :
menuentry "Windows 7" {
    insmod ntfs
    insmod chain
    set root = (hd0,5)
    chainloader +1
}
but it didn't work : Ubuntu boots without any problem but Windows don't.
So I tested with the search function :
menuentry "Windows 7" {
    insmod ntfs
    insmod chain
    search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root ${UUID_OF_MY_DISK}
    chainloader +1
}
and it again didn't work same problem. Notice I got the UUID with sudo
blkid /dev/sda5.

The error message was :
Erreur lecture disque
which means "Error reading disk". As this is in French I guess that it
is a message from Windows, isn't it?

    I read a little bit on the Internet and I found some posts that I
think said it was possible but other pretend it isn't. But none of them
were very clear. So, I don't know what to think that is why I'm asking :
/Can grub chainload Wi//ndows when windows is installed on a logical
partition? /If this is possible, may you give me some hints on why I
didn't manage to set it up? Otherwise, I will change my partition table
and reinstall everything in a different manner (by the way can you
confirm to me that grub can be installed in a logical partition?)

    I give you my partition table :
primary /dev/sda1 (Dell stuff I cannot delete because of guarantee)
primary /dev/sda2 (Dell stuff I cannot delete because of guarantee)/
/primary /dev/sda3 (boot partition where grub  is installed)
logical /dex/sda5 (Windows 7)
logical /dev/sda6 (Ubuntu)
and some other (for data and swap) but I don't think you need them.

    I thank you in advance for you response and please you to excuse my
bad English. Best regards,
Pascal COMBES