Re: Chainloading windows 7 installed on a local partition

From: Andrey Borzenkov
Subject: Re: Chainloading windows 7 installed on a local partition
Date: Wed, 5 Jun 2013 20:59:46 +0400

В Tue, 04 Jun 2013 23:16:05 +0200
Pascal COMBES <address@hidden> пишет:

> Hello everyone,
>      I would want to submit you a problem I encountered when trying to
> install Ubuntu (on sda6) after having installed Windows 7 on a logical
> partition (sda5). Before the installation of Ubuntu, Windows 7 was on
> its logical partition (sda5) and it worked well. A detail : When
> installing Ubuntu, I put Grub on a separate boot partition (sda3).
>
>      I tried to reconfigure Grub so that it boots either Ubuntu or
> Windows seven with :
> menuentry "Windows 7" {
>      insmod ntfs
>      insmod chain

not directly related but you do not need "insmod ntfs" here

>      set root = (hd0,5)
>      chainloader +1
> }
> but it didn't work : Ubuntu boots without any problem but Windows don't.
> So I tested with the search function :
> menuentry "Windows 7" {
>      insmod ntfs
>      insmod chain

no here

>      search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root ${UUID_OF_MY_DISK}
>      chainloader +1
> }
> and it again didn't work same problem. Notice I got the UUID with sudo
> blkid /dev/sda5.
>
> The error message was :
> Erreur lecture disque
> which means "Error reading disk". As this is in French I guess that it
> is a message from Windows, isn't it?
>
>      I read a little bit on the Internet and I found some posts that I
> think said it was possible but other pretend it isn't. But none of them
> were very clear. So, I don't know what to think that is why I'm asking :
> /Can grub chainload Wi//ndows when windows is installed on a logical
> partition? /If this is possible, may you give me some hints on why I
> didn't manage to set it up? Otherwise, I will change my partition table
> and reinstall everything in a different manner (by the way can you
> confirm to me that grub can be installed in a logical partition?)
>
>      I give you my partition table :
> primary /dev/sda1 (Dell stuff I cannot delete because of guarantee)
> primary /dev/sda2 (Dell stuff I cannot delete because of guarantee)/
> /primary /dev/sda3 (boot partition where grub  is installed)
> logical /dex/sda5 (Windows 7)

I do not think Windows can boot from logical partition. So I suspect
Windows bootloader is actually installed on either sda1 or sda2.
Could you try running "os-prober" from Ubuntu - may be it finds Windows
loader for you? You could also try bootinfoscript to check what it
find about various loaders on your disk.