Re: How can I pass grub's password to the linux kernel?

From: Jordan Uggla
Subject: Re: How can I pass grub's password to the linux kernel?
Date: Mon, 1 Jul 2013 17:58:34 -0500

On 6/28/13, Paul Rice <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> How can I pass the grub password entered at boot... to the linux kernel?  I
> would like to mount an encrypted filesystem with it.

The linux boot protocol does not offer any secure way to pass along a
key/password from the bootloader to the kernel. Please ask the linux
developers to add such a capability to the protocol (possibly in an
email to LKML and CCd to grub-devel to facilitate communication) and I
expect that grub would add support for this very quickly as grub
already supports decrypting LUKS containers but when /boot/ is
contained on LUKS the user currently is required to enter their
password twice, once for grub and again for linux.

--
Jordan Uggla (Jordan_U on irc.freenode.net)