Re: Installing and configuring grub in chroot

From: Jordan Uggla
Subject: Re: Installing and configuring grub in chroot
Date: Mon, 1 Jul 2013 18:12:34 -0500

On 6/24/13, Maciej GaƂkiewicz <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi
>
> I would like to configure grub on raw image file. I have managed to
> successfully installed it with:
> # mount -o loop instance.image-v0.77-1-cc-grub.img tmp/
> # losetup -a
> /dev/loop0: [fd0d]:1074766219
> (/var/lib/nova/instances/grub/instance.image-v0.77-1-cc-grub.img)
> # mount -o bind /proc tmp/proc/
> # mount -o bind /dev tmp/dev
> # mount -o bind /sys tmp/sys
> # chroot tmp/
> # grub-install --force /dev/loop0
> /usr/sbin/grub-setup: warn: Attempting to install GRUB to a partitionless
> disk or to a partition.  This is a BAD idea..
> /usr/sbin/grub-setup: warn: Embedding is not possible.  GRUB can only be
> installed in this setup by using blocklists.  However, blocklists are
> UNRELIABLE and their use is discouraged..
> Installation finished. No error reported.

You should not ignore such warnings. Is there a reason you're not
partitioning the image? You can create device nodes for partitions on
an image file by running "kpartx -a /path/to/disk.img". All that said,
I don't think this is related to the problem you're having.

> The problem is that installed kernel is not added to grub.cfg.
>
> # update-grub2
> Generating grub.cfg ...
> done
>
> # ls /boot/
> config-3.8-2-amd64  grub  initrd.img-3.8-2-amd64  System.map-3.8-2-amd64
>  vmlinuz-3.8-2-amd64
>
> My grub version 1.99-27+deb7u1, debian wheezy (7.1)

I'm not sure why this is happening. Could you please test
grub-mkconfig from upstream grub 2.00 and see if you can reproduce
this problem?

--
Jordan Uggla (Jordan_U on irc.freenode.net)