Re: GRUB2, GPT, mdadm & LVM

From: Sander Smeenk
Subject: Re: GRUB2, GPT, mdadm & LVM
Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2013 19:56:14 +0200

Quoting Andrey Borzenkov (address@hidden):

> > Only the first 8 disk (on the first controller?) show up in grub:
> OK that explains why LVM never appears.

Aparently.
I will focus on that then. Sorry for the dust-storm.. ;)

> Are they all on the same controller or on different ones? If you have
> two different controllers, may be you need to enable BIOS (option ROM or
> however is it called) on the second one.

Yes, it's 8 disks on two LSI 9211-8i controllers (lspci: LSI Logic /
Symbios Logic SAS2008 PCI-Express Fusion-MPT SAS-2 [Falcon])

Both have Option ROM enabled in the server's BIOS, i checked for that.
However, it seems the ROM from the first controller initialised also
finds and initialises the second controller. Only one LSI ROM is shown
during POST/preboot, but it lists both controllers and 8 disks on eacht.

I also checked the LSI ROM config: both have exactly the same
configuration (default), checked all the options, looks sane...

> If your controller is AHCI compliant (I assume it is unlikely to be
> IDE) you could try to use ahci instead of biosdisk as physical disk
> driver. You need to build different image for it.

With ahci.mod in core.img, doing ls in 'grub rescue>' shows no (hdX)
devices at all. It would seem these 9211-8is don't support AHCI.

Thanks!
-Sander.