Re: GRUB (U)EFI Program Interaction

From: Chris Murphy
Subject: Re: GRUB (U)EFI Program Interaction
Date: Sun, 10 Nov 2013 22:48:36 -0700

On Nov 10, 2013, at 10:03 AM, SevenBits <address@hidden> wrote:

My (U)EFI boot manager program, Enterprise, which you can find on GitHub, allows the user to specify which Linux kernel options they wish to use to boot Linux. My goal is to pass these options to a pre-compiled GRUB image that I distribute with Enterprise, which will load the GNU/Linux distribution from a supplied ISO file using GRUB's loopback and iso9660 file system support (you can view some more info on this here on my blog). My struggle is how to modify GRUB to enable this to happen.

If you already have a UEFI boot manager, it doesn't seem like you also need GRUB which in the case of UEFI is largely a boot manager. There devel list has some examples of the different ways to use EFI STUB to boot Linux, that's what you probably should be using as the OS loader. I'd also wonder what your boot manager offers that isn't available in either Gummitboot, GRUB, or rEFInd.

ution like this, I would be grateful. I'm fluent in C and understand the (U)EFI system call framework and can modify GRUB's source code, so the actual implementation of your suggestions won't be an issue. I'd just like to know the most efficient way to transfer small amounts of data from Enterprise to GRUB.

OK, but why?

Chris Murphy