Re: GRUB (U)EFI Program Interaction

From: Jordan Uggla
Subject: Re: GRUB (U)EFI Program Interaction
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2013 02:34:57 -0800

On Sun, Nov 10, 2013 at 9:48 PM, Chris Murphy <address@hidden> wrote:
> If you already have a UEFI boot manager, it doesn't seem like you also need
> GRUB which in the case of UEFI is largely a boot manager. There devel list
> has some examples of the different ways to use EFI STUB to boot Linux,
> that's what you probably should be using as the OS loader.

grub is no less a bootloader on UEFI systems than on BIOS based ones.
While some people like to use the kernel's EFI boot stub to load
linux, most distributions and users are currently using grub and the
linux boot protocol, not a UEFI stub, for loading their linux kernels
on UEFI based systems. Among other things, grub allows you to read the
kernel and configuration file from filesystems and abstractions that
UEFI alone can't access, like an ext4/btrfs partition, or for
SevenBits' stated purpose, from an iso9660 filesystem stored as a file
on top of another (likely not fat32) partition.

While people should realize that anybody can post responses to
help-grub, I think people expect that the responses they get will be
in line with the recommendations of the grub project, and I don't
think it's the grub project's position that the linux kernel's UEFI
stub should be used instead of grub on UEFI systems.

--
Jordan Uggla (Jordan_U on irc.freenode.net)