how does grub2 locate grub.cfg

From: Avinash Sridharan
Subject: how does grub2 locate grub.cfg
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2014 18:04:46 -0800

I have a slackware installation. I have 7 partitions on my hard disk where /dev/sda1 is the boot partition and /dev/sda7 is the root partition (on which slackware is installed). During installation, I didn't realize, but /boot was not a separate mount point. That is /boot is sitting on /dev/sda7.

After installing slackware, I installed grub2 on /dev/sda1, and created the /boot/grub/gurb.cfg using grub-mkconfig. After hitting reboot, it hit me that grub.cfg is not on the boot partition, but on /dev/sda7 and I thought grub might not be able to find it. But low and behold, grub found it perfectly.

I was wondering if I am missing something here, or there has been a little bit of magic added to grub2 to actually have the grub.cfg on a different location than the boot partition??