Unable to boot Windows partition using ntldr

From: james
Subject: Unable to boot Windows partition using ntldr
Date: Fri, 19 Jun 2015 18:10:55 -0700

Hello list!

I'm encountering an issue with GRUB 2.02.beta2-5 in which I can't seem to chain load a windows partition on my USB stick

The relevant portion of my config is included below:

--grub.cfg

insmod part_msdos
set winpe3=(hd0,msdos6)

menuentry "Windows PE 3.1" {
  insmod ntldr
  insmod ntfs
  set root=${winpe3}

  ntldr /bootmgr
}

--end cfg

When booting my Windows PE installation from this configuration, I receive the error below:

--
File: \Boot\BCD
Info: An error occurred while attempting to read the boot configuration data.

The error seems to obviously point to the boot configuration data as being corrupted or incorrect. However, when I bypass GRUB and boot directly from /dev/sda6, Windows PE boots completely normally, suggesting that not only is the BCD data completely fine, but even the PBR seems to be working properly. I have also tried chainloading using the following configuration

--grub.cfg

insmod part_msdos
set winpe3=(hd0,msdos6)

menuentry "Windows PE 3.1" {
  insmod chain
  insmod ntfs
  set root=${winpe3}

  chainloader +1
}

--end cfg

This configuration doesn't even get me as far as the bootmgr error. Instead, I just get the less than descriptive message, "Boot error".

Everything I have seen gives me more than ample reason to believe the boot data on this partition is completely valid. That leaves me with the conclusion that I have somehow misconfigured GRUB. Does anyone have any pointers for additional troubleshooting? Any suggestions or help greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

--
James Lott