Re: Unable to boot Windows partition using ntldr

From: james
Subject: Re: Unable to boot Windows partition using ntldr
Date: Sat, 20 Jun 2015 17:40:09 -0700

I am performing test boots using QEMU/KVM.

It's rather different from "booting from USB" in your original post.

How is that different in any way of consequence? I am using QEMU/KVM to boot a USB disk which is plugged into my machine. In my estimation, that is exactly "booting from USB"

You do not boot from sda6. You boot from hard disk that happens to have
the same size as sda6. No surprise booting does not work when disk
content appears to be suddenly moved to another disk location when
you try full disk.

This is a completely semantic point. Chainloading the PBR from GRUB should have the same effect as treating the partition as an independent disk and booting from its MBR.

Just to cover my bases, I dropped into the windows cmdline with BCDedit to verify the BCD data. I found it to be correct. Windows sees the partition I'm trying to boot as volume E, and the "device" and "osdevice" for the default boot entry are set to partition=e:

Everything to me seems to indicate bootmgr cannot even find the \boot\bcd file, which raises questions to me about whether I am overlooking something when setting the root partition in my GRUB configuration..

I am performing test boots using QEMU/KVM.

It's rather different from "booting from USB" in your original post.

                                           So to test a GRUB-handled
boot, I am running:

qemu-system-x86_64 --enable-kvm -m 512 /dev/sdb

To boot the partition directly, I am running:

qemu-system-x86_64 --enable-kvm -m 512 /dev/sdb6