Re: Grub-install documentation or override?

From: mgreger
Subject: Re: Grub-install documentation or override?
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2015 17:20:23 +0000

I have a 15GB image file partitioned using fdisk with a single MBR partition
and containing an ext4 file system which contains my LFS system. I used kpartx
on this to create /dev/loop0 and /dev/mapper/loop0p1. The file system in
/dev/loop0p1 is mounted on /mnt. I am chrooted into /mnt where my LFS system
resides. Grub in the LFS system was built with the following (from LFS
documentation):

./configure --prefix=/usr          \
            --sbindir=/sbin        \
            --sysconfdir=/etc      \
            --disable-grub-emu-usb \
            --disable-efiemu       \
            --disable-werror

Command used:
 grub-install --target=i386-pc /dev/loop0

When that failed, I also tried a number of variations on this command, all of
which also failed. I tried following examples on the net regarding creating a
device.map and populating it with (hd0) /dev/loop0
Grub seems to read the file OK, but the install still fails.

The host machine is a 64-bit install of Debian 8, although that shouldn't
matter.

If I do this on a real drive instead of a mounted image it works, but that
doesn't help me. Shouldn't it be possible to install grub to a loopback device?

Thanks in advance for any help.