Re: Grub-install documentation or override?

From: Andrei Borzenkov
Subject: Re: Grub-install documentation or override?
Date: Fri, 26 Jun 2015 20:25:25 +0300

В Fri, 26 Jun 2015 17:03:27 +0000
<address@hidden> пишет:

> > > It does not appear libdevmapper is a part of LFS.
> >
> > Then no kpartx would be possible at all. Where do you think /dev/mapper
> > devices come from?
> >

> I think you misunderstood.
> kpartx is run from the host Debian system. It has the mapper but does not
> have grub. The LFS system has grub, but does not have libdevmapper.

Then use host Debian system to install grub. Why do you insist on doing
it in chroot?

But I find it really hard to believe that any Linux distribution would
not include LVM.

> >  I could be wrong, but I don't see it anywhere.
> > >
> > > I don't understand why grub-install needs to find the partition
> > > /dev/mapper/loop0p1 at all. Surely all it needs to do is install to the
> > > MBR of /dev/loop0 and the embedded space before the first partition. Why
> > > would it need anything other than the device name /dev/loop0 ?
> > >

> > Because it needs to know which drivers are requires to access $prefix;
> > whether $prefix is on the same drive as primary boot sector; which
> > partition $prefix is in; etc etc etc
> >

> I'm not sure exactly what you are referring to with $prefix.

Which is exactly why grub-install exist - to make it unnecessary for
users to know what $prefix is and how to access it.

> Is there no way to manually tell grub that information, rather than have it
> try (unsuccessfully) to auto-detect it?
> There should always be a way to manually override any kind of auto-detection
> logic, IMHO.

There is - to the extent. It is possible to use grub-mkimage and
grub-bios-setup directly. But that also means you will be duplicating
grub-install logic and need to know all low level details.