Re: question about grub windows dual boot

From: Felix Miata
Subject: Re: question about grub windows dual boot
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2018 12:21:52 -0500

Xen composed on 2018-02-26 17:02 (UTC):

> Dante Ernesto García Vargas composed:

>>> Does Windows breaks GRUB ramdonly after being installed and set in order
>>> to dual boot Linux and Windows?

> Windows 10 has been known to overwrite the boot sector on updates
> recently.

> Ordinarily, it does not.

> It's best to always have an USB stick or SD card available to boot Linux
> with, all you need is the boot sector + space till the first partition.

> I mean any MBR card/stick partitioned with a 2048s (1MB) partition
> offset can be used to install Grub with no other requirements.

> Ordinarily Windows leaves the boot sector alone after installation.....
 Even better, don't put Grub on the MBR in the first place:
https://old-en.opensuse.org/Bugs/grub#How_does_a_PC_boot_.2F_How_can_I_set_up_a_working_GRUB.3F

When you make Linux boot from Grub on a primary partition instead of the MBR,
then the worst Windows will do is move the boot flag off your Linux onto its
own, which you can fix from a Windows boot in a few seconds on those few
occasions it happens. Some Windows updates will inexplicably fail unless the
boot flag is on a Windows partition, with the result that much time is wasted by
Windows repeatedly trying to install, failing, then restoring, then trying
again.

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/