Re: question about grub windows dual boot

From: Xen
Subject: Re: question about grub windows dual boot
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2018 18:34:16 +0100

Felix Miata schreef op 26-02-2018 18:21:

When you make Linux boot from Grub on a primary partition instead of the MBR, then the worst Windows will do is move the boot flag off your Linux onto its own, which you can fix from a Windows boot in a few seconds on those few
occasions it happens.

I have sometimes not been able to install Grub on a partition, so I cannot comment.

Some Windows updates will inexplicably fail unless the
boot flag is on a Windows partition, with the result that much time is wasted by
Windows repeatedly trying to install, failing, then restoring, then
trying again.

That seems rather problematic though.

I tend to put Windows on its own harddisk nowadays, or if not, I set my SD card to be the first bootable disk if I'm so inclined.

Grub will make the windows harddisk "number one" when it boots Windows (or the shared harddisk)

so Windows sees no anomaly.

For me a pleasant system.