Re: 'error: invalid signature' when booting Windows 10

From: Pascal Hambourg
Subject: Re: 'error: invalid signature' when booting Windows 10
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2018 23:35:38 +0100

Le 10/12/2018 à 22:59, David Collier a écrit :
On Mon, Dec 10, 2018 at 1:47 PM Pascal Hambourg <address@hidden>
wrote:

Le 09/12/2018 à 22:04, David Collier a écrit :
I am trying to retire an old HD where grub /boot directory happens to
reside, so I am trying to move it to the current Linux root partition
which
is on an SSD.

Did you move/reinstall a new GRUB in an EFI partition on the SSD too ?

I copied the script below to the SSD /etc/grub.d  directory and ran
update-grub, and verified that the menu shown when booting comes from this
grub instance.

This is not what I am asking for. What about the GRUB bootloader itself (boot image and core image) ? Did you run grub-install ?

For now, the only explanation which comes to my mind is that the active
GRUB is not GRUB EFI but GRUB BIOS, which expects to chainload a boot
sector with AA55 signature instead of an EFI executable.

is there any way around this?

First, check what GRUB flavour is running.
Type "c" at the GRUB menu to enter GRUB shell and type "set" to print environment variables. One contains the target architecture efi or pc.