Grub menu fonts

From: Chris Jones
Subject: Grub menu fonts
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2018 18:32:51 -0500

Out of curiosity.

I have seen a few screenshots of a boot menu claiming they document the
grub bootloader... and yet what I see is that the menu entries are
displayed via a proportional font.

I thought that grub used a plain linux console to display its menu and
thus only supported cell-based fixed-width fonts such as the default
gnu/unifont.

Is this a new capability of recent versions of grub or I am looking at
a different product altogether? ... possibly running "on top" of grub?

I'm sure you could find plenty such screenshotsjust googling for "grub
themes" but here's one just to clarify:

https://external-preview.redd.it/UOBaQH68CcBDz-RZsC8q55MozfIgVy2bfplJWDfd5UU.png?auto=webp&s=27ad9603f737549943099645f41d87758a877c8d

Thanks,

CJ