Re: 'error: invalid signature' when booting Windows 10

From: Pascal Hambourg
Subject: Re: 'error: invalid signature' when booting Windows 10
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2018 20:08:56 +0100

Le 18/12/2018 à 06:20, David Collier a écrit :

I did this and it booted the main linux installation from the SSD even
though grub was booted from the USB stick. Is there a way to confirm that
it booted in EFI mode?

GRUB's environment variables displayed by "set" indicate whether it booted in EFI or BIOS mode. In the Linux system, efibootmgr shows the EFI boot variables only if booted in EFI mode.

Also, how exactly do I proceed from here, I re-read this thread but don't
see what should I do next.

Running grub-install without argument should be enough to install the GRUB EFI boot loader, provided that the EFI partition is mounted on /boot/efi and grub-efi-amd64-bin is installed. Running update-grub should now detect and add Windows to GRUB's menu.

I ran 'apt-get install grub-efi-amd64', but this did not result in the
directory /boot/grub/x86_64-efi showing up, it installed a bunch of files
in /etc/kernel and /usr/share

The package installation should have run grub-install which should have populated /boot/grub/x86_64-efi.