help-gsasl

Re: Command-line interface

From: Simon Josefsson
Subject: Re: Command-line interface
Date: Wed, 01 Oct 2008 13:56:39 +0200

Darren Oh <address@hidden> writes:

> I have been trying to use the command line interface. So far, I have
> not been successful. There seem to be no examples of how to use the
> server option, or of what to expect.
>
> gsasl -s www -m DIGEST-MD5
>
> returns "Name or service not known."
>
> gsasl -s localhost
>
> returns "Connection refused." I have no idea what the command is
> expecting or what these messages mean.

What are you trying to do?  The server mode only works on stdin/stdout,
it cannot listen to a port.

You can use 'gsasl -s' in one terminal and 'gsasl -c' in another to
debug connections, like the trace below.  You need to cut'n'paste the
base64 blobs between windows as needed.

Extending the command line client so that it can listen on a port and
act as a SMTP/IMAP/etc server would be a cool addition.

I hope this helps,
/Simon

address@hidden:~$ gsasl -s -m DIGEST-MD5 -d
Using mechanism:
DIGEST-MD5
Enter realm of server (optional): realm
Output from server:
cmVhbG09InJlYWxtIiwgbm9uY2U9IkJZK1hKV3B0b2c1OW5YMUppd21WZWc9PSIsIHFvcD0iYXV0aCwgYXV0aC1pbnQiLCBjaGFyc2V0PXV0Zi04LCBhbGdvcml0aG09bWQ1LXNlc3M=
Enter base64 authentication data from client (press RET if none):
dXNlcm5hbWU9ImphcyIsIHJlYWxtPSJyZWFsbSIsIG5vbmNlPSJCWStYSldwdG9nNTluWDFKaXdtVmVnPT0iLCBjbm9uY2U9ImJKd0JNZWZEV1RJUDRKKzFIaEZTS1E9PSIsIG5jPTAwMDAwMDAxLCBxb3A9YXV0aCwgZGlnZXN0LXVyaT0iaW1hcC9ob3N0bmFtZSIsIHJlc3BvbnNlPTZkNzM4OThkNjVlZmI5YmRiYTliNDkzMTI5NTIyYWVhLCBjaGFyc2V0PXV0Zi04
Enter password:
Output from server:
cnNwYXV0aD0zMWNjMDQ0ZmEyMmQwOWQ5ZDU5YjEyNzIwODRiZTVkNQ==
Enter base64 authentication data from client (press RET if none):

Output from server:

Server authentication finished (client trusted)...
Session finished...
address@hidden:~$

address@hidden:~$ gsasl -c -m DIGEST-MD5 -d
Using mechanism:
DIGEST-MD5
Output from client:

Enter base64 authentication data from server (press RET if none):
cmVhbG09InJlYWxtIiwgbm9uY2U9IkJZK1hKV3B0b2c1OW5YMUppd21WZWc9PSIsIHFvcD0iYXV0aCwgYXV0aC1pbnQiLCBjaGFyc2V0PXV0Zi04LCBhbGdvcml0aG09bWQ1LXNlc3M=
Enter GSSAPI service name (e.g. "imap"): imap
Enter hostname of server: hostname
Using system username `jas' as authentication identity.
Enter realm of server (optional): realm
Enter password:
Output from client:
dXNlcm5hbWU9ImphcyIsIHJlYWxtPSJyZWFsbSIsIG5vbmNlPSJCWStYSldwdG9nNTluWDFKaXdtVmVnPT0iLCBjbm9uY2U9ImJKd0JNZWZEV1RJUDRKKzFIaEZTS1E9PSIsIG5jPTAwMDAwMDAxLCBxb3A9YXV0aCwgZGlnZXN0LXVyaT0iaW1hcC9ob3N0bmFtZSIsIHJlc3BvbnNlPTZkNzM4OThkNjVlZmI5YmRiYTliNDkzMTI5NTIyYWVhLCBjaGFyc2V0PXV0Zi04
Enter base64 authentication data from server (press RET if none):
cnNwYXV0aD0zMWNjMDQ0ZmEyMmQwOWQ5ZDU5YjEyNzIwODRiZTVkNQ==
Output from client:

Client authentication finished (server trusted)...
Session finished...
address@hidden:~$