help-java2html

Re: [Help-java2html] Setup java2html as cgi

From: Lorenzo Bettini
Subject: Re: [Help-java2html] Setup java2html as cgi
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 19:56:58 +0200

Hi Robert

        Nice to hear from you :-)

Robert Wetzel wrote:

> Hi,
>
>   as I had some spare time last weekend I tried myself at
>   programming a CGI-interface for java2html. Currently
>   it's more a quick hack than anything else. But heh,
>   it's better than nothing. :-)

GREAT :-)

>   I can't claim it will compile on Windows, I tested
>   it only on my Linux box (thats one reason why this
>   is a quick hack and nothing more).

it shouldn't be a problem (I will test it myself)

> How it is accomplished?
>
>   The main question was: How will the QUERY_STRING be
>   parsed without implementing a fullsized scanner? As
>   using libraries may lead to problems with Windows,
>   a different solution have to be found.

my memory needs to be refreshed about CGI: in which case QUERY_STRING is
used? GET or POST or both?

>   The current solution is based on the option parser
>   which is already used by java2html. The QUERY_STRING
>   is splitted by '&'. Every resulting substring will
>   be preceded by a "--" and added to the list of
>   arguments, i.e.
>
>     http://...../java2html?css=~me/java.css&input=~me/Hello.java
>
>   will result in two 'real' arguments:
>
>   #1: --css=~me/java.css
>   #2: --input=~me/Hello.java

well this is a good solution :-)

> Problems with file names
>
>   Currently all file names (input file, css file, ...)
>   must be given relatively to the java2html program
>   or as an absolute path name.

what do you mean? ../.. doesn't work?

> Which files has been changed
>
>   Beside the two new files src/envmapper.h and
>   src/envmapper.c, the files src/main.cc and
>   src/Makefile.am has been changed.
>
> Further Problems
>
>   There are (as usual) a bunch of problems lurking around:
>
>   * In my limited view I think it's sufficient to display
>     only one file at once. If there is the need for more,
>     there should be a way to divide the files (i.e. by
>     a <HR> in a simple case).

yes this could be added as an option (to put all the output only into
one file).

>   * What should happen if no arguments were given? Display
>     an error page?

Surely :-)

>   * Currently the files given are related to the location
>     of java2html in the 'real' filesystem. I don't like to
>     give full pathnames only because I like to share one
>     java2html between all users of a web host/site.

so what solution would you propose?

I would like you to send an example html page to use this CGI (or if you
put it already online an URL :-)

> I added a full tar.gz archive, which contains java2html-1.7
> and my changes. Do what you want with it :-)

thanks a lot :-)

I'm taking a look at it :-)))

cheers
        Lorenzo

|  Lorenzo Bettini          ICQ# lbetto, 16080134     |
|  PhD student in Computer Science                    |
|  Florence - Italy         (Linux User # 158233)     |
|  Home Page        : http://w3.newnet.it/bettini     |
|           http://infostud.dsi.unifi.it/~bettini     |
|  Mail             : address@hidden            |
|  http://www.mokabyte.it       Java on line journal  |