help-java2html

Re: [Help-java2html] Setup java2html as cgi

From: Robert Wetzel
Subject: Re: [Help-java2html] Setup java2html as cgi
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 14:38:48 +0200 (MET DST)

Hi there,

> my memory needs to be refreshed about CGI: in which case
> QUERY_STRING is used? GET or POST or both?

Only in the GET method (I didn't know it either, but that
says the test with my Roxen webserver).
The POST method puts the arguments into the input of
a CGI script. The script have to interpret the variable
REQUEST_METHOD to know which method is used 'on' it.

>>   Currently all file names (input file, css file, ...)
>>   must be given relatively to the java2html program
>>   or as an absolute path name.

> what do you mean? ../.. doesn't work?

It works. BUT: ../.. is handled relatively to the location
of java2html in the underlying filesystem. For example,
java2html resides in /usr/local/httpd/cgi-bin. Then
../../Hello.java is the same as /usr/local/Hello.java.

>>   * What should happen if no arguments were given? Display
>>     an error page?

> Surely :-)

Next question: Internally created or use an external HTML
               page/template? (which is much handier for
               configuration)

>>   * Currently the files given are related to the location
>>     of java2html in the 'real' filesystem. I don't like to
>>     give full pathnames only because I like to share one
>>     java2html between all users of a web host/site.

> so what solution would you propose?

Very good question... Currently I have no idea :-(

> I would like you to send an example html page to use this CGI (or if you
> put it already online an URL :-)

Good idea! You will find a tiny 'Hello' collection at

  http://www.inf.tu-dresden.de/~rw8/java2.html

Oh, while testing I found another missing feature (or bug...):
There will be problems giving java2html strings like
'title=Happy Java with java2html :-)'

cheers,

  Robert.