help-libidn

Re: DeNIC changed ß to a valid character for domainnames

From: Thomas Jacob
Subject: Re: DeNIC changed ß to a valid character for domainnames
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2010 15:19:17 +0200

On Wed, 2010-10-27 at 14:54 +0200, Simon Josefsson wrote:
> Libidn implements NamePrep/StringPrep, but IDNA2008 doesn't use
> StringPrep at all so it is completely different.  I suspect the simplest
> way for you to get IDNA2008 output meanwhile is just to do
> pre/post-processing of the IDNA2003 outputs to deal with ß.  I suspect
> DeNIC whitelists code points, so if you are lucky you only have to deal
> with one corner case.
>
> Implementing IDNA2008 isn't as simple as changing nameprep profile,
> alas.

I feared as much ;(

I am still trying to understand the major ideas behind the revamped
IDNA 2008 but so far haven't found the time to wade through the RFCs,
you wouldn't happen to have a link handy to some kind of article
explaining the major differences between IDN A2003 and 2008?

But you're right of course that this is trivial to fix with a little
wrapper for each front end application, and that is probably the
way to go at the moment.

To support this, people could possibly use idnkit-2.0
released recently by Japan Registry Services, which seems to support
IDNA2008 already:

http://jprs.co.jp/idn/index-e.html