help-libidn

Re: providing a libidn compatibility API

From: Nikos Mavrogiannopoulos
Subject: Re: providing a libidn compatibility API
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2017 08:00:26 +0100

On Mon, Feb 13, 2017 at 7:57 AM, Nikos Mavrogiannopoulos
<address@hidden> wrote:
>> It turned out that if libunistring is linked, this extra code is still added
>> to libidn2, just blowing up the size without any advantage. Simon and I
>> didn't
>> have (fast) solution to that, so we commented the extra gnulib modules in
>> bootstrap.conf.
> Interesting, that would affect gnutls as well since it is also using
> libunistring that way.

Actually it doesn't. I had made a separate library with unistring
which was only being included if libunistring was not available. I
attempted to do something similar for libidn2 at:
https://gitlab.com/jas/libidn2/merge_requests

Note however that in libidn2 you had two states. Have libunistring
available with uc_joining_type imported from a local copy from
unistring (latest), and have libunistring containing everything. For
the simplicity of the fix above, I've switched to have a sufficiently
new libunistring, vs have no libunistring. That means of course that
the newer (and bigger) libunistring will enter on systems without
0.9.6.

regards,
Nikos